Okay, another post, only one month later! That must be some kind of record or something. At the end of July, the bf and I moved from Lexington, KY back to his (parent's) homestead in St. Charles, a suburb of St. Louis. Now I'm a Kansas City girl, so the area is new to me, but I'm proud to announce that I've secured employment (go me!) at a craft store (double score!) and my knitting hasn't abated one bit in the intervening month. So let's do some catch up shall we?
When I left things last time, I was hinting at a new shawl made with that gorgeous yarn from Sunrise Fiber Co. in Patina. So here's what the finished object turned out to be:
As you'll soon see, this bench is one of my new favorite photography props. It's nice to live somewhere with an actual back yard with trees and some patio furniture to put things on. Outdoor pictures are da bomb yo!
Okay, so since I'm pretty much obsessed with shawls lately, here is one I've dubbed the "Bad Luck Luiza". I had a lot of problems with this baby. The finished product is pretty, but I nearly tore all my curls out making it. I love, love, loved the yarn I used for the major part of it, then did the bind-off in Knit Picks Stroll in black to coordinate.
You can check out the project page on Ravelry to see how much trouble I had with it. Grr.
I didn't have nearly as much trouble with my Sakura in the Sun project, my first submission for the 2012 Ravellenic Games. I used Sunrise Fiber Co. classic sock again - can you tell it's one of my favorite yarns? - this time in Cherry Blossom (hence the name). I really like how this colorway knit up in this pattern:
And I'm hoping to soon be in the land of cherry blossoms - Washington DC, not Japan, that is.
Okay, hoping you all still have viewing energy left, because I've been very busy the last month. Next up is another Ravellenics project, a reversible hat in Malabrigo Worsted - another brand that is moving up quickly in my favorite yarns. It's so soft and reasonably priced too. This hat will be a Christmas present for my sister (who fortunately doesn't read this blog!)
Woo, reversible! Woo, Christmas knitting in August!
Okay, last up for the finished objects is this gorgeous test knit I did for Mia Rinde, the same designer who did Mimosa Mimicry. This one is called "Hearts that Flourish" and the the repeated motif is, you guessed it, a heart pattern. I used Sunrise Fiber Co. again, with a gorgeous colorway she calls Lilac. It's a bright purple with hot pink undertones, and I've only worn it about a zillion times so far!
That bench is getting plenty of use from me, I swear.
Okay, so that wraps up (pun intended) the finished shawls for the month. But the fun doesn't stop there! I'm currently working on two shawl tests - another for Mia, and one for a first time designer named Sarah (fluffstuff on ravelry).
I'm also doing a mystery knit along from Laura Nelkin, though I'm slacking a bit on that one because of the less-than-welcome vibe I got from fellow KAL-ers. It's not fun to do a knit along if the people with whom you are knitting along aren't terribly kind. So I may get back to that pattern in time, but I'm kind of bummed I bought it and allocated two skeins of fingering weight yarn to it when I can't enjoy the mystery-KAL aspect of it. Plus, set up is never my favorite part of a project, and the first two clues of this one are Clue 1, follow these steps; clue 2, do the same thing in clue 1 two more times. Bleh.
On the horizon, however, is another MKAL - a stole with Mia Rinde (who is obviously becoming one of my favorite designers)! I have a great skein of laceweight set aside for it:
Which I got as a gift, so I can't link to the seller, unfortunately. But I can say, it looks even more gorgeous as a yarn cake than in the skein. The MKAL will start in four days, and I can't wait!
And you all probably think I'm crazy at this point, but I've also signed up for another KAL with Sunrise Fiber Co. (I wouldn't miss one for the world). This time we're using her Cloud DK base in custom KAL semi-solid colors. I'm making some colorwork sock boots with the Grape inspired colorway and her established color, sage. It'll be interesting to use a DK base for once; I've been using a lot of fingering- and lace-weight yarns recently!
Now that I'm actually employed and not as grumpy in general at the world, I'll try to blog more regularly about what I've been working on :) Though one benefit, I suppose, to me waiting so long is you get a nice, long, picture-heavy post of pretty fo's. But I'd really like to start writing more about my process and what I'm thinking as I knit a project, so consider this my mid-year resolution: to write at least one blog post per project I'm working on. So look forward to a wrap-up post coming soon for the current test knit for Mia, "Shallow Waters".
No comments:
Post a Comment